Audioscrobbler, aka Last.fm is a website that keeps track of your music listening habits. It does this by installing a little pidgeon in your mp3 playing software that flys to the Last.fm server each time you play a song.
The results from this is aggregate data on your music listening habits. It is really a fun way to keep track of what you listened to and share that information with your friends. At one point I had my most recent tracks showing on this blog, but pulled it out because it wasn’t updating correctly.
You can see what I’ve been listening to here.
Winamp 5.5 Breaks Track Reporting
My mp3 playing software of choice is Justin Frankel’s Winamp. It is preferable to iTunes for many reasons. Anyhow, Winamp pushed out its upgrade to version 5.5 a few weeks ago and changed the way that track play detection is performed. This caused in the audioscrobbler / Last.fm winamp plugin to malfunction, only reporting one out of a string of songs to the server. The result is that it looked like I was only listening to one track every several hours or so.
I finally got around to looking into it and found a patch in the Last.fm forums created by very astute user named DoctorO. I installed it and blam it is fixed now. I looked further in the thread and found a Last.fm staff member had updated their winamp installer to now detect the Winamp version number and then detect tracks correctly. I had some troubs with the new official one, however so I’m recommending the user submitted update.
Not really. First, Last.fm barely acknowledges Winamp as a viable client for users to scrobble tracks from. They push their Last.fm client instead, which is ludicrous. Why would I want to switch to some website’s proprietary media player? They hide plugins three clicks away from the “download” tab.
Second, Last.fm should be able to track what client I’m using to report tracks to it. Based on this and the discovery that reporting was broken by the SW update it would have been nice to have been alerted via email that I should look at updating my plugin–especially if Last.fm is offering new official installers. This is just bad customer service.
Anyhow, here is the updated plugin file you need to fix Winamp 5.5’s track reporting:
- Shut down Winamp
- Copy .dll into “c:/programs files/winamp/plugins/” directory (or whatever path you chose during install)
- Start Winamp back up
- Optional: You can check and see that your tracks are being updated by:
- right-clicking the player, choosing Options -> Preferences -> Plugins -> General Purpose
- Select the winamp plugin and click the Configure Selected Plugin button at the bottom.
- Your login details should still be in and if you’re playing a song it should be processing it like normal.